Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Epidemiology Research Staff
Under direct supervision, this individual is expected to support statistical analyses for genetic, epidemiologic and laboratory-based cancer research projects/studies in the Holowatyj Laboratory and Team. The Research Analyst is expected to collect, organize and harmonize, analyze and interpret data from various sources, including but not limited to, clinical/pathologic, next-generation sequencing, epidemiologic, qualitative, outcomes, physical activity and other molecular data types. This individual is also expected to actively support data warehouse oversight for ongoing prospective cohort studies.
- Perform assignments related to data manipulation, statistical applications, programming, analysis and modeling
- Prepare weekly recruitment reports as well as other essential study-related queries in a timely capacity
- Apply computational tools and information technology to gather, analyze and visualize data
- Interpret data analysis of epidemiologic and genetics and other molecular/laboratory-based data
- Assist and support the teaching of trainees/team members with data manipulation, statistical applications, programming, analysis, study data queries and modeling as needed
- Convey a basic knowledge and understanding of policies, procedures, and regulations governing human subjects research and incorporates them in the conduct of daily research activities
- Collaboratively participate in study team meetings. Maintain open and positive communications with investigators, participants, co-workers, other departments and sponsors
- Actively identify and participate in training, education, and development activities to improve own knowledge and performance to sustain and enhance professional development. Pursue avenues to continue education (i.e., in-services, seminars, etc.)
- Demonstrate initiative for continuous learning, both self-directed and as evidenced by attendance of educational and professional development opportunities. Actively seek new learning opportunities, seeing learning as part of work
- Prepare preliminary research progress reports
- Summarize methodologic/statistical and data results in writing appropriately
- Provide appropriate written documentation of statistical analyses, packages and output
- Coordinate activities and gathers information from a variety of sources to achieve team goals and outcomes
- Maintain cohort study data warehouses needed to fulfill study requirements
- Perform ongoing checks of data entry, harmonization and analyses with awareness and attention to detail for accuracy and completeness
- Assure research information is collected and stored in a manner that is compliant with regulations/policies and good clinical practice
- Perform data processing and storage procedures
- Work with outside stakeholders and collaborators to ensure complete and compliant data transfer/receipt
- Prepare appropriate data dictionaries
- Record, compile, interpret and communicate data/results
- Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent experience) (Required)
- <1 year relevant experience (Required)
- Exceptional programming skills in SAS/R or comparable coding language(s) (Required)
- Previous experience(s) working with epidemiologic and/or next-generation sequencing data (Preferred)
- Ability to work independently and on multiple projects (Preferred)
- Exceptional organizational skills, attention to detail, team player (Preferred)
Our Academic Enterprise is one of the nation's longest serving and most prestigious academic medical centers. Through its historic bond with Vanderbilt University and integral role in the School of Medicine, Vanderbilt Health cultivates distinguished research and educational programs to advance a clinical enterprise that provides compassionate and personalized care and support for millions of patients and family members each year.
World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.
Aligning with Vanderbilt Health's Strategic Directions, the Office of Research provides shared research resources, administrative expertise and professional guidance to enable the trans-disciplinary environment and highly collaborative culture that advances discovery and training for all the research faculty, trainees, students and staff.
Organizational Impact: Delivers job responsibilities that impact own job area/team with some guidance. Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Uses existing procedures, research and analysis to solve standard job related problems that may require some judgement. Breadth of Knowledge: Requires subject matter knowledge within a professional area to meet job requirements. Team Interaction: Individually contributes to project/ work teams.
Core Capabilities :
Supporting Colleagues: - Develops Self and Others: Continuously improves own skills by identifying development opportunities.- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Seeks to understand colleagues priorities, working styles and develops relationships across areas. - Communicates Effectively: Openly shares information with others and communicates in a clear and courteous manner. Delivering Excellent Services: - Serves Others with Compassion: Invests time to understand the problems, needs of others and how to provide excellent service. - Solves Complex Problems: Seeks to understand issues, solves routine problems, and raises proper concerns to supervisors in a timely manner. - Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Listens carefully to understand the issues and provides accurate information and support. Ensuring High Quality: - Performs Excellent Work: Checks work quality before delivery and asks relevant questions to meet quality standards.- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Shows eagerness to learn new knowledge, technologies, tools or systems and displays willingness to go above and beyond. - Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Demonstrates basic knowledge of conditions that affect safety and reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate person or department. Managing Resources Effectively :- Demonstrates Accountability: Takes responsibility for completing assigned activities and thinks beyond standard approaches to provide high-quality work/service. - Stewards Organizational Resources: Displays understanding of how personal actions will impact departmental resources. - Makes Data Driven Decisions: Uses accurate information and good decision making to consistently achieve results on time and without error. Fostering Innovation: - Generates New Ideas: Willingly proposes/accepts ideas or initiatives that will impact day-to-day operations by offering suggestions to enhance them.- Applies Technology: Absorbs new technology quickly; understands when to utilize the appropriate tools and procedures to ensure proper course of action. - Adapts to Change: Embraces changes by keeping an open mind to changing plans and incorporates change instructions into own area of work.
Work Experience :
Relevant Work Experience
Experience Level :
Less than 1 year
For a copy of the physical requirements of this position to determine if you can perform the duties with or without an accommodation or to request an accommodation, please contact VUMC Employee Relations at 615-343-4759 or email@example.com.