Location: Boardman, Ohio
About Akron Children's Hospital
Akron Children's Hospital has been caring for children since 1890, and our pediatric specialties are ranked among the nation's best by U.S. News & World Report. With two hospital campuses, regional health centers and more than 50 primary and specialty care locations throughout Ohio, we're making it easier for today's busy families to find the high-quality care they need. In 2020, our health care system provided more than 1.1 million patient encounters. We also operate neonatal and pediatric units in the hospitals of our regional health care partners. Every year, our Children's Home Care Group nurses provide thousands of in-home visits, and our School Health nurses manage clinic visits for students from preschool through high school. With our Quick Care Online virtual visits and Akron Children's Anywhere app, we're here for families whenever and wherever they need us. Learn more at akronchildrens.org.
- To treat every child as we would our own
- To treat others as they would like to be treated
- To turn no child away for any reason
Prior to the start date, full COVID-19 vaccination is required for employment. Full vaccination is defined as 14 days after the last received vaccination. Boosters are excluded from this requirement.
We are seeking people who are committed to fostering a diverse environment in which patients, family and staff from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed, included and can thrive.
The Lab Assistant provides support to the laboratory and may serve multiple functions, including ordering/receiving tests in the LIS, performing pre-analytic and analytic procedures, specimen transport, specimen accessioning and processing, preparing specimens for send out testing, phlebotomy, handling/processing glassware, and other duties as required.
Duties may include some or all of the following, depending on work assignments and laboratory area:
- Reviews orders for various tests requested by the provider/physician and converts these requests to correct tests in the LIS.
- Obtains, receives, and processes specimens prior to testing.
- Utilizes sterile specimen handling techniques when needed during specimen handling, accessioning, and processing.
- Performs pre-analytical tasks correctly and according to established/approved protocols.
- Performs analytical tasks correctly and according to established/approved protocols.
- Able to prepare specimens, as needed, for send out testing.
- Performs duties of a phlebotomist as required.
- Ensures compliance of all regulatory and safety standards.
- Collects laboratory glassware from all laboratory departments and research follows pre-treatment/special handling procedures on glassware packages and sterilizes supplies/glassware according to procedure loads and operates laboratory glassware washer and sterilizer process glassware deliver glassware to all Lab Departments and other labs as assigned.
- Collects specimens and slides for Histology Lab as needed.
- Other duties as required.
- Experience in sterile processing is preferred.
- Experience in lab skills is preferred.
- Experience working with all levels within an organization is required.
- Experience in healthcare is preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Office [Outlook, Excel, Word] or similar software is preferred.
Education and Experience
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent is required. Knowledge of basic biology and chemistry preferred. Graduate of an approved medical assistant, EMT, or phlebotomy program is preferred
- Certification: None required.
- Years of relevant experience: 0 to 2 years is preferred.
- Years of experience supervising: None.
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities.
EEO is the law, please click/copy paste the link below to learn more: